Google+ Followers

Wednesday, 5 July 2017

Seed Progress (1) Report

It's not easy doing a post on a smart phone😲. This is second and last attempt as it has just lost everything I did.....so it's not that smart!

You may recall on Sunday I started some seeds off inside damp tissue. The beetroot, carrot and leek seeds were then placed in a plastic container with the lid on and put in a dark warm cupboard.  Why did I do this?

  1. It speeds up germination.
  2. It allows me to filter dud seeds.
  3. Planting is more uniform, less need to thin out
  4. Speeds up harvesting time because I haven't wasted time on germination.
  5. I love experimenting! 
I checked the seeds yesterday (Tuesday) just over 48 hours after sowing and only the beetroot had sprouted.
Beetroot 72 hours
Beetroot 48 hours

I checked them again this morning (Wednesday) and the beetroot have sprouted more, the carrots are starting but nothing on the leeks, although if you look closely there is a little white pip on the seeds which could mean the germination process is starting.



They've all gone back in the cupboard for another 24 hours.  I can't caption the photos. So it's carrot, leek and beetroot after 72 hours.  I miss my laptop. Bye for now. Tx

10 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean about the smart phone thing - I do a lot of mine from there but feel there are a lot of limitations.

    I'm curious to see how the seeds are sown now they have sprouted, would you plant under the soil?

    Great experimenting - I love it too x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will show you but I lay the sprouts on top of compost evenly spaced I then put compost on top and normally within 48 hours they have broken surface with first leaves. I done beetroot and carrots before but not leeks and not this late in the season.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear about your laptop, I hate doing things on the phone as my eyes are not good, the seeds have done incredibly well x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hooked on some of the YouTube experiments, love it.

      Delete
  3. I take pot luck and just simply bung the seeds straight in the ground. Mind you I had 3 goes at getting the beetroot to grow.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started researching germination and found a guy who starts all his seeds this way. He has a really good success rate and you know instantly whether you are successful. Waiting 4 weeks for something to germinate and then it doesn't because of the weather, pests or poor seeds is annoying.

      Delete
  4. Husband carefully did some perennial seeds for next year's planting yesterday put them down outside and then a bird came by for a quick dig!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheeky beggars. I'm in a constant battle with the birds they think my garden is the local takeaway!

      Delete
  5. I wouldn't even attempt using my phone - the fact I am not connected to the internet on my phone is neither here nor there!
    Interesting experiment going on with the seeds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been watching various people on YouTube and it's really clever. One guy great potatoes from potato skins it was a slow process but it worked. Not something I'd do but by experimenting we learn.

      Delete